Nutrition: Fats Chapter 2
- What are Fats? (VIDEO)
- Facing the Fats
- Not all Fats are Equal
- Fiber & Lowering Cholesterol
- Two Sources of Cholesterol: You Eat It & You Make It
- "Good" Fats: Unsaturated & Omega-3
- Saturated Fat & Its Effects
- Fats in Nature: Good Fats & Bad Fats
- "Good" Fats: The Big Omega's!
- Trans Fats
- Trans Fats: Plaque Attack
- Building a Body with Fat
- Your Brain is Built on Fat
- When Fats Take Revenge
- Reading Your Fats is Not So Tough
What are Fats? (VIDEO)
The risks and benefits associated with dietary fats have long been mired in confusion and misunderstanding. How can these nutrients be at the core of the obesity epidemic and deadly chronic diseases — yet still be absolutely essential to life? The answer is not simple because fats are not all alike, nor is any one type of fat single-faceted. Rather, fats are complex nutrients, worthy of your understanding not only to inspire a healthy diet but so you can appreciate how they energize, build, and fortify your body.
- The chapter listing at the left shows the range of subtopics that we will explore in this health center.
- The key visualizations from each chapter appear in our carousel of small pictures, above. Clicking on each one will enlarge it so you can view the content for the related chapter.
- On the main images, buttons may launch short videos, graphics and interactive features.
- Also, rolling over the red arrows on the images reveals more interactive content.
- Finally, the photos, graphics and icons in the text labeled “Read More” link to additional content and interactive experiences. Click away!
We hope you find all of “The 9 Visual Rules of Wellness” to be informative and compelling.
CHAPTER 1 (currently viewing)
What are Fats?Fats. When you read that word, is “health” the first thing that pops into your head?
Fiber & Lowering CholesterolTake steps towards better health exploring why a diet rich in soluble fiber is a great way to help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol.
Good Fats: Unsaturated & Omega-3Not all fats need to be avoided. Unsaturated and Omega-3 fats are actually an important party of a healthy diet!
Saturated Fat & Its EffectsJust like cholesterol can be divided into “good” and “bad” varieties, the rest of the fats family can be too.
Trans FatsTrans fats are artificially modified vegetable oils that have been widely used in fried and processed foods.
theVisualMD Wishes to Thank our Scientific Collaborators:
The material on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. It should not be used to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Consult a licensed medical professional for the diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions and before starting a new diet or exercise program. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.